I’ve made a batch or two of cookies in my day, but I’ve never really bothered with peanut butter cookies. I’ve made them once or twice but for some reason, just never got excited about them like I do with my go-to cookie recipes!
That was, until, last week, when I got to have a whole day with our precious 2 year old nephew Ollie, and wanted to bake some cookies with him. We’ve made my kinder surprise cookies together before, but I wanted something that was a lot easier to make, with a lot more hands-on mixing and stirring for Ollie. Then I remembered how much he loves peanut butter (or “peanut blabla” as he calls it) and I remembered this super easy recipe for these peanut butter cookies I’ve been seeing all over TikTok (I know as a millenial I’m too old for it and we’re getting dragged to heck by all the Gen Z-ers but it’s all just for the chortles! And we all need as many laughs as we can possibly get these days, right?)
So, I’m not sure who to credit for these cookies because I’ve seen a variation of this recipe so many places online, too. If you know who originally came up with it, please let me know!
It’s just so simple and when Ollie and I made them and tasted them I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I like them! I over-baked them to heck the first time because I was real anxious about undercooking the egg in it and Ollie getting sick, but it turns out Alex loves them over-baked… Which is weird and blasphemous if you ask me — crunchy cookies aren’t cookies, they’re biscuits! But that little over-baking incident led me discover that they taste good both chewy and crunchy! Whoda-thunk it?
Anyway, the third time I made them, Alex requested I put rolled oats in them, so here they are. You can’t even really tell that they’re in there — you could probably get away with adding a lot more than 1/2 cup, but I digress! They’re in there and I like the texture and chew, so, as my wee Gran would say, “and there ye’ are.”
Peanut Butter, Oat and Choc Chip Cookies
Makes 12 cookies
- 1 cup peanut butter*
- 1 egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks/chips
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
* I’ve found that your bega/kraft brands work a little bit better than natural peanut butter, but you do you! They were just a bit oilier when I used natural peanut butter, you see. Plus, classic peanut butter is cheaper, too!
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius (160 fan-forced) and line two baking trays with baking paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Scoop and roll dough into 12 balls and pop them on your prepared baking trays. Press lightly with a fork in a criss-cross pattern to squish them down and flatten them a wee bit (and to make them look cute!)
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes for soft cookies, or up to 15 minutes for crunchy biscuits.
- Let cool and set on a cooling rack and enjoy!
Oh how yummy 😋 Look forward to trying them 🥰